It's been some time...

I still don't know if anyone really reads the musings here, but some encouraging words from a friend prompted me to get my fingers moving. It's been a bit of a wild ride these past weeks and I'm just starting to catch my breath. January was a blur - I thought I was really prepared for G to be away again, but my optimism proved to be wildly misleading and so the first month was a slog. It seemed I couldn't get ahead of life enough to look up and see what was coming next. Then in mid-February, just as we were adjusting to him being home again for a few weeks, we got news of a new addition to our family. The 'telling' suddenly seemed like an overwhelming prospect. Adoption is like that I suppose... every milestone is met with anticipation and excitement, but also the prospect of responding to dozens of well-meaning questions about the whole process. We were also really aware of wanting to share the news with Amelia in a way that supported her processing it before SHE had to respond to a dozen well-meaning questions. And she HAD to be the first one to know. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, my dear dad chose that day to buy Am a new horse... so she got a new horse and a new brother on the same day. Guess which was more exciting? Yup. The horse won the coveted spot at grade one show and tell day. Brother? Oh yeah, and a brother...
Four days later, a new baby arrived in my brother's family as well - a sister for his sweet four year old daughter M. So now Am has a boy (with a PEN#S!!!) and her best friend, cousin and sometimes rival M has a sister. Harumph. Luckily actually meeting the new arrival in person was quite a different story and now everybody is happy and loving all this new baby excitement (except for that p#nis part, which is still an adjustment... )
My, my, it's been quite a month, and me thinks the fun is just beginning....

Comments

Cathryn said…
Reminds me of a friend whose granddaughter went through all the months of pregnancy seemingly ready for the new baby to enter the family circle. When the baby girl arrived, she told my friend, with a sigh, "I was really hoping for a horse." At least Amy got both. Wonderful post, and lots of luck with both the well-meaning questions and the new demands.
ONE MOMENT said…
Thanks Cathryn. Amelia is adjusting well since she really does love babies...

Popular posts from this blog

Home and new normal